Important Information for...
Ideas for promotion of physical activity
There are many simple steps which can be taken in the workplace:
- Walking to colleagues' desks instead of using internal phones or e-mails;
- Taking the stairs instead of the lift;
- Walking or cycling to work;
- Encouraging staff to walk during their lunch breaks;
- Getting off the bus one or two stops earlier than usual;
- Observing the recommendations for frequency of breaks as opportunities to be active;
- Going for a walk at lunchtime;
- Purchase pedometers to record the number of steps taken in a day with the aim of achieving 10,000 steps a day and even organising a workplace pedometer challenge;
- Taking part in events such as Bike to Work day and local fun runs;
- Organising a lunchtime activity group e.g. football or netball, to play matches against other local workplace teams for motivation; and
- Incorporate physical activity within existing policies or plans.
Additional information and ideas can be found on the NHS choices and British Heart Foundation's Health at Work websites
Return to Exercise and Fitness topic