A recent incident led to an operator sustaining serious injuries when his hand came into contact with a rotating auger on a bulk feed blow trailer whilst checking that the trailer was properly dried out after being cleaned. The rear door of the trailer was open and the auger was running.
The circumstances of this incident have prompted HSENI to issue the following safety advice to companies that operate bulk feed blow trailers with auger devices.
Employers should apply a hierarchy of protection measures, where practicable, to the auger systems, as follows:
- fixed guards
- other guards or protection devices, such as interlocked guards or doors, which shut off the drive mechanism if the guard or rear door is removed/opened
Employers should also ensure the provision of such information, instruction, training and supervision as is necessary. Access to the auger should only be gained after applying a suitable lock-off procedure/safe system of work.
Employers should have systems in place to ensure that all guards and associated safety devices on bulk feed blow trailers are regularly checked for defects that may affect correct functioning. The system in place should ensure that if any defects are found they are rectified.
Relevant legal documents
- Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2000
- Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations (Northern Ireland) 1999
All dangerous parts of machinery should be adequately guarded to prevent access to moving parts such as auger devices. If, as part of the operation of a bulk feed blow trailer, it is necessary to remove a guard for cleaning or to clear blockage, suitable protection devices should be provided to prevent access to moving parts of machinery.
Access to moving parts of machinery can result in very serious injuries.
Please pass this information to colleagues who may have this equipment or operate this type of system / process.
For more information please contact HSENI's Transport & Utilities Group:
- phone: 028 9024 3249
- HSENI and Farm Safety Partnership launches Farm Safety Survey - Reminder 13 February 2019
- Welding fume reclassified as carcinogenic 11 February 2019
- Chemicals EU Exit Stakeholders Event 07 February 2019
- Chemicals EU Exit Stakeholder Event 01 February 2019