Chairman of the Health and Safety Executive for Northern Ireland (HSENI) Derek Martin, today launched the ‘Avoid Harm on the Farm’ child safety 2018 calendar.
The calendar features winning entries from this year’s child safety on farms poster competition. This year we had 3,296 school children from 74 schools all over the province who submitted entries. The launch took place at Lisanally Special School in Armagh, where one of the winning entrants attends.
Speaking at the launch, Derek Martin, Chairman of the Health and Safety Executive for Northern Ireland said: “Child safety on farms remains a key focus for HSENI and the Farm Safety Partnership. Tragically, and unacceptably, we are still seeing children dying and being seriously injured on our farms and we all must do all we can to stop this from happening. Through this competition we have engaged and encouraged school children from across the province to show us their artistic talent in highlighting the issue and raising its profile.
“The competition has proved a great exercise in helping children realise the dangers that lurk on our farms. It has been a very difficult task choosing the 12 entries for the 2018 calendar, but I would like to take this opportunity to thank all the pupils for their contributions in this competition.”
This year the calendar has been sponsored by a number of the Farm Safety Partnership (FSP) Affiliate Organisations, ASDA, Northern Ireland Safety Group (NISG) and the Institution of Occupational Safety & Health (IOSH). As FSP Affiliates these organisations have pledged to use their position and resources to promote the farm safety message and HSENI is very grateful for their support.
2017/18 poster competition winners
- First – Fionnuala Carroll, Lisanally Special School
- Second – Imogen Watson, Beechlawn Special School
- Third - Tyler Davis, Beechlawn Special School
- First – Sawyer McCrum, Ballynure Primary School
- Second – Ruairi Mulgrew, St Mary’s Primary School, Dunamore
- Third – Simon Gregg, Clough Primary School
Key Stage 1
- First – Aoibhinn Devlin, St Mary’s Primary School, Dunamore
- Second – Ava Quinn, St Mary’s Primary School, Dunamore
- Third – Emily Whitsitt, Brookeborough Primary School
Key Stage 2
- First – Aoife McGovern, St Davog’s Primary School
- Second – James Blair, Clough Primary School
- Third – Caitlin Gallagher-Arruda, All Saints Primary School, Tattysallagh
To view the winning entries and to download the calendar, please see the link below:
- Publication of new Workplace Exposure Limits to implement the 4th Directive on Indicative Occupational Exposure Limit Values (IOELVs) (Commission Directive (EU) 2017/164) 14 September 2018
- HSENI Inspection campaign - Metal Working Fluids initiative 12 September 2018
- Important Announcement: Gas Safe Register Retender 11 September 2018
- Farm Safety Week - What good looks like 20 July 2018