Enforcement responsibilities

Details of the enforcement responsibilities of HSENI and the local district councils are highlighted in this section.

HSENI and district councils

The division of enforcement responsibilities between HSENI and the district councils is detailed below.


HSENI's enforcement responsibilities include:

  • factories
  • building sites
  • farms
  • motor vehicle repairs
  • mines and quarries
  • chemical plants
  • schools and universities
  • leisure and entertainment facilities (owned by District Councils)
  • fairgrounds
  • hospitals and nursing homes
  • district councils
  • fire and police
  • government departments
  • railways
  • any other workplace not listed under district councils

You can contact HSENI by email or phone, as follows:

District councils

District councils' enforcement responsibilites include:

  • offices
  • retail and wholesale shops
  • tyre and exhaust fitters
  • restaurants, take away food shops, mobile snack bars and catering services
  • hotels, guest houses residential homes, etc
  • wholesale and retail warehouses
  • leisure and entertainment facilities (privately owned)
  • exhibitions
  • religious activities
  • undertakers
  • the practice or presentation of the arts, sports, games, entertainment or other cultural or recreational activities
  • therapeutic and beauty services
  • animal care

If you have a query about an area of employment for which district councils are responsible you should contact the environmental health department of your local district council.

District councils' contact information

Click on the relevant link below to your local district council's website for its contact information.