What causes slips and trips?
There are a number of factors that cause slips and trips:
- contamination and obstacles
One or more of these may play a part in a situation or accident.
What can I do to prevent slips and trips?
- have an effective management system in place
- assess the risks and eliminate where possible
- clear up spillages as soon as they occur
- ensure everyone is properly trained
- ensure the most appropriate footwear is chosen for the work environment
Slips assessment tool
The Slips Assessment Tool (SAT) is a freely downloadable computer software package that allows an operator to assess the slip potential of pedestrian walkway surfaces.
- The Workplace (Health, Safety and Welfare) Regulations Northern Ireland 1993
- The Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2000
Please note that these links are to the original legislation, visitors should verify for themselves whether legislation is in force or whether it has been amended or repealed by subsequent legislation.