We are committed to protecting and respecting your privacy. By using our social media channels, you agree to our social media policy.
HSENI social media accounts should not be the first point of contact for raising work-related concerns or workplace complaints. If such matters are posted, a message will issue asking the individual who posted the comment/pictures, to provide the information via the HSENI generic mailbox or helpline, we may also request further information from the individual who posted the comment/pictures for clarification and forward on to the appropriate team within HSENI.
What HSENI post on social media
HSENI posts on social media will include information about the following:
- press releases
- safety alerts
- new content published on the website
- marketing campaigns
- invitations to input to consultations
- HSENI initiatives/programmes
- any other information HSENI considers appropriate
HSENI will always seek the relevant permission when taking pictures of people and of worksites and will not post any images of people/sites where permission has not been granted.
Engagement on social media
If you follow us on social media, we do not automatically follow back. We will use hashtags and mention other social media accounts where appropriate. Being followed, using hashtags, or mentioning other accounts does not imply endorsement of any kind.
We will like and share where we think a post is useful or interesting but, again, this is not an endorsement. We will update and monitor our social media accounts during normal office hours, Monday to Friday. Our social media accounts may occasionally be unavailable, and we accept no responsibility for our lack of service due to any downtime. When making announcements, we will communicate first via social media when we think that this is the right approach.
We welcome feedback, ideas and engagement and will try to join the conversation where possible, and where it is right to do so. Where we can, we will point you to additional information already in the public domain.
We are not able to reply individually to all messages we receive via our accounts on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn but will do our best to do so.
When you ‘like’, ‘share’ or ‘comment’ on one of our posts, you should be aware that this will be publicly available. We may use your contact information/usernames to respond to messages/comments you send to us. If you post publicly on social media, we may share your post with our followers. Usernames of our followers are publicly available on our social media channels.
We may also receive information about you from third parties such as other social media users if they mention you, tag you or share a photo of you. When we upload content to social media we may also tag, share photos and content.
We may use analytics to analyse our social media channels for trends, insights, and engagement.
You may unsubscribe/unfollow us at any stage.
HSENI House rules
We expect our users to offer us the same level of courtesy that we offer them, so we have a short set of ‘house rules’:
- you are wholly responsible for any content you post, including content that you choose to share
- on our social media platforms, we will remove, in whole or in part, or ignore posts/comments that we feel are inappropriate
- we will report and seek to remove any social media profiles that are set up using HSENI imagery without permission.
We will remove, block, ban and, if necessary, report users to the associated social media platform who direct messages at us which we believe:
- bully, harass or intimidate any individual or organisation.
- are unlawful, libellous, defamatory, abusive, threatening, harmful, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, or racially offensive.
- are deceptive or misleading.
- infringe or violate someone else’s rights.
- violate the law.
- violate any intellectual property rights.
- discuss ongoing legal proceedings.
- are spam (persistent negative and/or abusive tweeting in which the aim is to provoke a response)
- advertise products or services.
- are irrelevant or off-topic.
- are disruptive.
- are repetitive.
We will also remove, block, report or ban any user who:
- encourages others to post such messages.
- uses offensive images as their profile picture.
- has an offensive username.
We do not engage in party politics.
We do, however, reserve the right to comment on inaccurate coverage or comment.
We reserve the right to modify or change these conditions at any time.
Where to follow us
HSENI’s presence on social media is managed by the HSENI Communications Team and we have profiles on the following platforms -
- Twitter (@Hsenigov)
- Facebook (@hseni.gov.uk)
- Instagram (@hseni.gov.uk)
- YouTube (@HSENIVideo)
- LinkedIn (Health and Safety Executive for Northern Ireland)
The usual way of contacting HSENI for official correspondence can be found at our Contact us page.