Minutes of HSENI Senior Management Team meeting - December 2020

Minutes of Senior Management Team (SMT) meeting held on Wednesday 2 December at 9.30am (via zoom).

Attendees: 

  • R Kidd - Chair and Chief Executive
  • L Burns Deputy - Chief Executive (joined at 10am)
  • N Monson - Deputy Chief Executive
  • B Monson - Deputy Chief Executive (Left at noon)
  • K Neeson - Deputy Chief Executive

1. Apologies

There were no apologies.

2. Minutes of previous meeting

The minutes from the November meeting were agreed.

3. Action Points

There were no action points not covered by the agenda.

4. Corporate Health, Safety and Welfare

Nothing to report.

5. Audit, Risk Management and Finance

No confirmation as yet on EU funding bid from Treasury.

Emerging Risks

  • Need to commence appointing EU staffing team.
  • Need to seek to use money that was held to cover vacancy filling that has been delayed due to NICS HR exercises.
  • Noted the memo regarding filling EU posts to the point of issuing a letter of appointment until funding is confirmed.
  • Format is a Grade 6, 2 Grade 7's, 5 Chemicals staff, 4 Product safety staff and an EO2 admin.

At present we are continuing to respond to the demands of Covid-19 more than dealing with planned inspections.

There was no further budget update but a finance meeting is planned for later in the month.

6. HR

Higher Scientific Officer post being worked on with intention of going to advertising early January. Other staffing issues were discussed including two Inspectors leaving to take up their new posts in the Department for Economy on 21 December.

7. Case and Project Work 

Major Investigation Team (MIT) update  

N Monson shared the statistics on the number of cases currently with MIT. There was some discussion on a number of current cases.

EU Exit / Transition period 

There was no further update.

8. Business Planning

Note now issues to Heads of Groups regarding consideration of input for the Operating Plan for the year 2021/22. Quarter 4 this year anticipated to be like Quarter 3 but we will be in a position to move back to more normalised operations when the time comes.

9. Performance Monitoring 

B Monson highlighted the increased reporting of Public Health Agency clusters and the demands they bring. It was noted these are occurring in a number of work areas.

10. Board Business 

The Chair highlighted the partnership agreement and on the basis of our most recent discussion with the Department, will draft some thoughts to go back and start the process of shaping the first draft.

11. Any other business

SMT to consider a meeting early in the new year with the board chair to discuss a review of board papers to seek to standardise things in advance of the 5 new board members being appointed.

The Chair updated SMT on the latest discussion on the role of the Building Safety Regulator for Northern Ireland.

Chair advised that the query around helpline facilities for businesses in the run up to EU Exit is now a live request. This will be shared with Mr Burns and the team so that a short response can be provided setting out the key sources for support.

Chair mentioned the note to issue to all staff regarding the carry over of annual leave.

12. Date of next meeting

The dates of SMT meetings for 2021 are to be arranged.