Minutes of Senior Management Team (SMT) meeting held on Wednesday 4 November 2020 at 9:30am (via zoom).
- R Kidd - Chair and Chief Executive
- L Burns - Deputy Chief Executive
- N Monson - Deputy Chief Executive
- B Monson - Deputy Chief Executive
- K Neeson - Deputy Chief Executive
There were no apologies.
2. Minutes from previous meeting
The minutes from the October meeting were agreed.
3. Action Points
There were no action points not covered by the agenda.
4. Corporate Health, Safety and Welfare
There was a discussion on the ongoing potential of some staff having to self-isolate and how quickly this would present challenges to our operational ability.
5. Audit, Risk Management and Finance
There was no further updates since our last meeting
B Monson updated SMT on new procedures for monitoring and notifying potential clusters through the Public Health Agency (PHA) email updates. Also a discussion took place on repeat offenders, known entities and new bodies.
The challenge to staffing levels continues to be monitored on an ongoing basis by SMT, taking account of the most current information from PHA as well as any staff absences due to self-isolation, other sick absence or leave.
The possibility of a business disruption risk was discussed. Remote working has given us greater resilience but with a second wave we are likely to see some staff having to selfisolate. The flexibility of staff was noted in helping those groups most under pressure. The risk of staffing being compromised operationally will continue to be monitored as staff are visiting higher risk locations.
There was no further budget update.
SMT noted the results of the recent general service Grade 7 competition which combined with the promotion of 2 Inspectors on the Principal Inspector competition and other vacancies created earlier in the year now leave us with 6 vacancies at main grade inspector level. It was noted that the loss will be particularly seen in the Major Investigation Team as one inspector was heavily involved in a long running case.
7. Case and Project Work
Major Investigation Team (MIT) update
Nikki shared the statistics on the number of cases currently with MIT.
EU Exit / Transition period
There was no further update since the last meeting.
8. Business Planning
SMT considered the Operating Plan and noted that even with the revisions made, we still face significant challenges due to Covid.
9. Performance Monitoring
B Monson stated that the situation in terms of complaints has us on a par with where we were in May 2020. We have recently updated guidance and signposting on our website to try and direct people to appropriate place to raise complaints e.g. those for local councils.
10. Board Business
Nothing further to report as the board meeting had just passed.
11. Any other business
- Partnership Agreement - some queries were discussed and a possible way forward.
- A note for the Chair for a meeting with his GB counterpart to be prepared.
- The forthcoming Oversight and Liaison meeting was discussed – no additional agenda items.
- Meeting with David Malcolm was discussed.
- Information Sheet – approved by Public Health Agency colleagues to be published to assist employers with staff who need advice on self-isolating.
- N Monson updated SMT on a discussion she had with the Police Service of Northern Ireland.
- N Monson raised an email regarding a social event to give staff an opportunity to meet virtually before Christmas. It was agreed this would be supported.
- Draft media plan - K Neeson said this was being worked on and had been shared with SMT for comments.
- K Neeson updated SMT on the Department for Transport / HSENI Memorandum of Understanding with the Driver Vehicle Standards Agency. The proposal was discussed and all were content with the proposed approach.
12. Date of next meeting
The next meeting will take place on 2 December at 9:30am.