A County Antrim company was today fined £15,000 following the death of a man at an excavation site in Rathfriland.
Amalgamated Environmental Services (AES) Ltd trading as AES Marconi pleaded guilty to one breach of health and safety legislation at Newry Crown Court, after Mr Denis Paul Rodgers was found dead within an excavation site at the rear of his house. The site was being remediated following contamination with oil.
An investigation by HSENI found that the work was not appropriately planned. An incomplete generic risk assessment had been conducted without visiting the site, security arrangements were not suitable to prevent access to the area, arrangements to assist tenants with necessary access to the area were not clear, and the risks associated with the work were not effectively communicated.
HSENI Inspector Jonathan Knox said: “Our thoughts are with the Rodgers family today. Denis’s tragic death could have been avoided if access to the construction area to the rear of the property at Downpatrick Street, Rathfriland had been carefully assessed and effective controls put in place.
“Careful consideration of the risks is vital to ensure that practical, and often simple measures are put in place to prevent such incidents from occurring.
“All contractors are reminded of the importance of the planning stage in any project. In particular, consideration should be given to the risks to those who are not working on the site, but still may be affected. Control measures must be reviewed as the work progresses.”
In the carrying out of its statutory duty, HSENI will continue to work with the Public Prosecution Service in the pursuance of successful criminal prosecutions of those who fail to ensure the safety of their employees or the public affected by their actions.
Notes to editors:
1) Breaches and fines for AES Marconi are as follows:
a) Article 5(1) of the Health and Safety at Work (Northern Ireland) Order 1978; fine £15,000,
b) Regulation 3(1) of the Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2000; left on the books.
2) For media enquiries please contact HSENI Press Office on 028 9024 3249, or email firstname.lastname@example.org
3) For Out of Office Hours please contact the Duty Press Officer on 028 9037 8110.
- NI Health and Safety Representative of the Year award 2019 18 November 2019
- Workplace Health experts fly in for November conference 12 November 2019
- HSENI target Agriculture Contractors through advisory visits 30 October 2019
- HSENI reports a decrease in serious injuries 23 October 2019