A County Antrim recycling company was today fined £25,000 after an employee was crushed between a Refuse Collection Vehicle (RCV) and a mini digger.
ISL Waste Management Ltd, based in Mallusk, pleaded guilty to a breach of health and safety legislation at Laganside Crown Court, after their employee, Mr Grzegorz Mucha, sustained serious injuries after being crushed between the rear of an RCV and the grab attachment of a mini digger on 3 October 2017.
In this incident, Mr Mucha had reversed the RCV into the processing plant in preparation for unloading. The unloading process required the driver to operate controls located to the rear of the RCV. It was while Mr Mucha was working to the rear of the vehicle that the incident occurred.
HSENI Principal Inspector Kyle Carrick said: “The investigation found the company failed to implement a suitable management system to segregate pedestrians and vehicles on site.
“Loading and unloading activities are high risk activities and often require drivers to leave the safety of their vehicle cab. Where drivers may need to leave their cabs to perform essential tasks (such as opening container doors and operating discharge controls), adequate safeguards should be in place to protect them.
“This incident was entirely foreseeable and could have been avoided had appropriate control measures been put in place to maintain an adequate separation distance between vehicles and pedestrians."
Further guidance on controlling the risks associated with vehicle movements at waste and recycling facilities is available online at https://wishforum.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/WASTE-09-.pdf
Notes to editors:
1) Breaches and fines for ISL Waste Management Ltd are as follows:
Breach 1: Article 4(1) of the Health and Safety at Work (Northern Ireland) Order 1978; fine £25,000;
2) For media enquiries please contact HSENI Press Office on 028 9024 3249, or email at firstname.lastname@example.org
3) For Out of Office Hours please contact the Duty Press Officer on 028 9037 8110.
- Managing Workplace Health: Fit for Purpose 22 October 2019
- HSENI is calling on employers to effectively manage work-related stress 10 October 2019
- Co. Antrim firm fined after employee loses arm 07 October 2019
- New Health and Safety Regulations 27 September 2019