HSENI would like to remind contractors to ensure that their sites are adequately secured during holiday periods.
Adequate precautions need to be taken to protect members of the public who are less likely to be aware of the dangers on construction sites than those working on site. Children are particularly vulnerable. Please ensure the following:
- That there is an effective barrier around the site perimeter;
- Access ladders have been removed from scaffolding;
- Manholes have been covered over;
- Excavations are fenced off or covered;
- Plant and machinery is immobilised to prevent unauthorised use.
The effectiveness of arrangements should be reviewed regularly, particularly if there is evidence of children playing on or near the construction site. Further guidance can be found at the link below:
- Farming community urged to ‘rethink-risk’ to personal health and wellbeing 23 July 2021
- Work or leisure – stay safe in the countryside 22 July 2021
- PPE and heat: risk of heat stress 22 July 2021
- Lack of farm safety could cost you your life! 21 July 2021