At Balmoral Show this year, Rural Support launched its new booklet entitled ‘Coping with the Pressures of Farming’, aimed at offering the farming community help and assistance in relation to their health and well-being and every day pressures of running a farm.
Staying well mentally is just as important as staying well physically. Dealing with stress and strain, the ups and downs of life, are part and parcel of daily living. Farming, whilst rewarding, can sometimes feel stressful. Sometimes dealing with the day-to-day pressures of farming combined with life's other demands leads to greater stress and pressure, resulting in feelings of being unable to cope. On such occasions, being able to reach out to someone to talk to or get advice from can make all the difference in sorting out the troubled situation or problem.
This resource entitled 'Coping with the Pressures of Farming' is aimed at farmers and farm families based in Northern Ireland. It has been researched and collated to address some of the many and varied issues that contribute to stress when not handled appropriately.
Objectives of this resource:
- to promote positive mental health among farmers and farm families
- to encourage help seeking behaviours in terms of emotional well-being among farmers and farm families by increasing awareness of services available
- to reduce financial stress by encouraging more efficient ways of managing resources and increasing awareness of support services
- to improve community understanding of what mental health truly is and challenge the fears and stigma often associated with mental illness which can be barriers to seeking necessary professional help
- to promote and encourage the development of Social Farming for the benefit of vulnerable citizens, persons and their families
To download a copy of this booklet, please see the following link:
- HSENI launch Farm Safe Essential message #2 – Plan Safe Spaces 24 September 2020
- HSE Safety Alert - Failure to detect dangerous gas/vapour due to incorrect specification of sample tube 17 September 2020
- Health and medical surveillance and safety critical medicals 08 September 2020
- Carriage of Dangerous Goods – New Multilateral Agreement 02 September 2020