The Health and Safety Executive for Northern Ireland (HSENI) and the Farm Safety Partnership NI (FSP) have launched their 2023 child safety poster competition.
We are urging all NI primary aged school children to get involved!
The competition involves children drawing and colouring a picture to illustrate a crucial farm safety message. The pictures should be drawn relating to the four key dangers on farms namely Slurry, Animals, Falls and Equipment, however, we welcome any other dangers the children may see on the farm, we love to see new ideas from our young people!
We hope then to be able to produce our 2024 Farm Safety Calendar, from the 12 lucky winners of the poster competition, with each winner receiving a £50 one for all voucher!
The competition has been running successfully for a number of years now, with huge support from our primary schools which we are extremely grateful for, so thank you!
Let’s keep the momentum going. We really need to ensure the safety of our children on farms and the poster competition is an excellent way to raise awareness of the dangers our children may face.
HSENI Chief Executive Robert Kidd, said: “The annual HSENI poster competition is an ideal way for parents and teachers to remind their children about how to stay safe on the farm. I would encourage parents and teachers to help their children identify dangers they face on the farm and illustrate their ideas to us.
“HSENI are continuing to highlight the critical need for farming families to ensure that children are kept safe on the farm. I would ask all our farming community to think about the risks and put simple practical measures in place to make sure their children are safe at all times, especially during busy periods such as the summer holidays. Remember, farms are not playgrounds, and farming is the only workplace where children continue to lose their lives.”
Competition terms and conditions can be found at the link below:
Further information on Key Stage 1 & 2 (including links to downloadable child farm safety colouring sheets) can be found on the HSENI website at:
Notes to editors:
1. For more information on the Farm Safety Partnership (FSP) please contact HSENI on 0800 0320 121 or visit the FSP webpage: Farm Safety Partnership
2. The Farm Safety Partnership comprises the Health and Safety Executive for Northern Ireland (HSENI), the Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs (DAERA), the Ulster Farmers’ Union (UFU), NFU Mutual (NFUM), the Young Farmers’ Clubs of Ulster (YFCU), the Farm Safety Foundation, Rural Support and the Northern Ireland Agricultural Producers Association (NIAPA). It is tasked with assisting Northern Ireland’s farming community to work safely and tackle the problem of work-related fatalities and injuries on farms.
3. The Farm Safety Partnership’s ongoing ‘Stop and Think SAFE’ farm safety campaign focuses on the four main causes of death and injury on our farms – slurry, animals, falls and equipment (SAFE).
4. For media enquiries please contact HSENI Press Office on 028 9024 3249 or email email@example.com. For out of office hours please contact the Duty Press Officer on 028 9037 8110.
5. HSENI is the lead body responsible for the promotion and enforcement of health and safety at work standards in Northern Ireland.
- Health and Safety advice during storms and bad weather 26 September 2023
- Latest chemicals news for Northern Ireland - updated 26 September 2023 25 September 2023
- Health and safety inspections of workplace transport management to increase in haulage and logistics sectors 18 September 2023
- Health and Safety Executive for Northern Ireland ‘Drive Danger Out’ campaign message to food industry 14 September 2023