The following information contains an update on the Biocidal Products Regulation in Northern Ireland.
Reminder – upcoming EU active substance approval dates.
You must apply for product authorisation by the deadlines to keep products on the NI market.
The following EU Biocidal Products Regulation (EU BPR) active substance approval dates are coming up:
- Formaldehyde (CAS 50-00-0 EC 200-001-8) in product types 2 and 3 – 1 February 2022
- sec-butyl 2-(2-hydroxyethyl)piperidine-1- carboxylate (Icaridine) (CAS 119515-38-7 EC 423-210-8) in product type 19 – 1 February 2022
- Methyl-benzimidazol-2-ylcarbamate (Carbendazim) (CAS 10605-21-7 EC 234-232-0) in product types 7 and 10 – 1 February 2022
Don’t forget to apply for EU BPR product authorisation by the dates above to keep existing biocidal products containing these active substances in the relevant product types on the Northern Ireland market.
New EU active substance non-approval decisions
Biocidal products must be phased off the NI market.
COMMISSION IMPLEMENTING DECISION (EU) 2021/1283 of 2 August 2021 on the non-approval of certain active substances in biocidal products (PDF format) - www.eur-lex.europa.eu
Following withdrawal of support under the EU Biocidal Products Regulation (EU BPR), the EU Commission has decided not to approve the following active substance/product type combinations. This will affect Northern Ireland (NI):
- Bronopol (CAS 52-51-7 EC 200-143-0) in product type 9
- Thiram (CAS 137-26-8 EC 205-286-2) in product type 9
- Metam-sodium (CAS 137-42-8 EC 205-293-0) in product types 9 and 11
- Silver, as a nanomaterial (CAS 7440-22-4 EC 231-131-3) in product types 2, 4 and 9
- 2,2-dibromo-2-cyanoacetamide (DBNPA) (CAS 10222-01-2 EC 233-539-7) in product type 13
- Eucalyptus citriodora oil and citronellal, hydrated, cyclized (CAS n/a EC n/a) in product type 19
- 2-Hydroxy-α,α,4-trimethylcyclohexanemethanol (CAS 42822-86-6 EC 255-953-7) in product type 19
- Peroxyoctanoic acid (CAS 33734-57-5 EC n/a) in product types 2, 3 and 4
- Chlorine dioxide generated from sodium chlorite and sodium persulfate (CAS n/a EC n/a) in product types 2, 3, 4, 5 and 11
- Malt, ext. (Extractives and their physically modified derivatives such as tinctures, concretes, absolutes, essential oils, oleoresins, terpenes, terpene-free fractions, distillates, residues, etc., obtained from Hordeum, Gramineae) (CAS 8002-48-0 EC 232-310-9) in product type 19
- Amines, C10-16-alkyldimethyl, N-oxides (CAS 70592-80-2 EC 274-687-2) in product type 4
- Capsicum annuum, ext. (Extractives and their physically modified derivatives such as tinctures, concretes, absolutes, essential oils, oleoresins, terpenes, terpene-free fractions, distillates, residues, etc., obtained from Capsicum annuum, Solanaceae) (CAS 84625-29-6 EC 283-403-6) in product type 19
- Capsicum oleoresin (Extractives and their physically modified derivatives. It is a product which may contain resin acids and their esters, terpenes, and oxidation or polymerisation products of these terpenes. (Capsicum frutescens, Solanaceae) (CAS 8023-77-6 EC n/a) in product type 19
- Reaction mass of (6E)-N-(4-hydroxy-3-methoxy-2-methylphenyl)-8-methylnon-6-enamide and N-(4-hydroxy-3-methoxy-2-methylphenyl)-8-methylnonanamide (CAS n/a EC n/a) in product type 19
Biocidal products containing these active substances in the relevant product types can no longer be:
- supplied in NI after 23 August 2022; or
- used in NI after 23 February 2023
Businesses must manage stocks of the affected products to ensure than none remain in the NI supply chain by 23 August 2022.
Treated articles containing these active substances in the relevant product types can no longer be placed on the NI market after 19 February 2022.
Any affected NI product approvals under the Control of Pesticides Regulations (COPR) will be revoked in line with the above dates.
- Latest chemicals news for Northern Ireland - updated 8 June 2023 08 June 2023
- Safety Alert - LPG forklift truck fire risk 07 June 2023
- HSENI launches Avoid Harm on the Farm poster competition 01 June 2023
- Rural Support have launched a Farm Support Survey 31 May 2023