The Health and Safety Executive for Northern Ireland (HSENI) has successfully led a prosecution against NK Coatings Limited, Michelin Road, Newtownabbey and was today (21 June 2022) fined £120,000.
The Mallusk based company earlier pleaded guilty at Belfast Crown Court following the death of an employee at the factory site.
The prosecution arose following a HSENI investigation into an incident that occurred on 23 September 2020 when a metal storage rack fell from the forks of a counterbalance fork-lift truck, resulting in fatal injuries to Mr Leslaw Mazur, aged 56.
Kyle Carrick, Head of HSENI’s Major Investigation Team said: “This tragic incident was avoidable. Any activity involving lifting equipment must be properly planned by a competent person, appropriately supervised, and carried out in a safe manner.
“Employers should be aware that HSENI will not hesitate to take appropriate enforcement action against those who are found to fall below the required standards.”
Mr Mazur, a metal finisher, was assisting three other employees to turn a large metal structure which was being supported on the forks of a fork-lift truck. The metal racking subsequently fell from the forks, striking Mr Mazur. The investigation found that a risk assessment had not been completed for the activity and the method used to turn the structure was unsafe placing workers at risk. A prohibition notice was served on the Company by a Health and Safety Inspector following the incident.
Notes to editors:
- Breaches and fines for NK Coatings Limited are as follows:
a) Article 4 of the Health and Safety at Work (Northern Ireland) Order 1978: fine £120,000;
- For media enquiries please contact: HSENI Press Office on 028 9024 3249 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. For out of office hours please contact the Duty Press Officer on 028 9037 8110.
- Latest chemicals news for Northern Ireland - updated 2 February 2023 02 February 2023
- Multilateral Agreement M351: Exemption from appointing a safety adviser for consignors 23 January 2023
- Belfast animal feed manufacturer prosecuted after worker loses hand in unguarded machine 19 January 2023
- County Londonderry gas and heating company prosecuted for safety failings 17 January 2023