The Health and Safety Executive for Northern Ireland (HSENI) will be carrying out a workplace transport inspection campaign at manufacturing premises across Northern Ireland.
The inspection campaign will run throughout Autumn 2023. HSENI Inspectors will be conducting focused inspections to assess the management of workplace transport risks.
To manage the risks from workplace transport effectively, you need to consider three key areas:
- Is there a site specific traffic management plan in place?
- Are pedestrians and vehicles adequately segregated?
- Are appropriate one-way systems in use where possible?
- Are measures in place to ensure vehicle all-round visibility?
- Are procedures in place to carry out pre-use checks and to report defects?
- Have statutory examinations been completed for vehicles used for lifting?
- Are vehicles provided with horns, lights, reversing alarms where necessary?
- Do drivers hold adequate licenses / training certificates for the vehicles they are authorised to driver
- Is there a program of driver refresher training in place?
- Are there measures in place to prevent drivers falling from heights during loading/ unloading, sheeting / loading activities?
The following link provides a checklist to assist you in reviewing the current arrangements at your premises. This checklist will form part of the HSENI inspection process:
A resource list for further information on workplace safety in the manufacturing sector can also be found at the following link:
“Workplace transport continues to be an area responsible for fatalities and major injuries in manufacturing workplaces. Beginning in September our manufacturing Inspectors will be visiting premises throughout Northern Ireland to ensure effective controls are in place to manage the risks associated with workplace transport.”
HSENI Inspectors will be providing information and advice during the inspection campaign. Where significant risks are found Inspectors may take enforcement action in order to achieve compliance with health and safety legislation to ensure that the risks are properly managed.
Practical guidance on how you may manage work related transport risks on site can be found at the following links: