The new Chairman of the Health and Safety Executive for Northern Ireland, Derek Martin, today launched this year’s annual HSENI’s “Be aware kids – Child safety on farms” poster competition at St Colmcille’s Primary School, Claudy.
Farm safety, particularly issues surrounding children on farms is a key priority for all of us. Through this competition, we want to raise awareness for children living and playing on farms, making all farms safer places therefore reducing work-related accidents which can lead to injuries or even fatalities amongst children.
Speaking at the launch, Mr Martin said: “The safety of children on farms remains a key focus for HSENI, and through this competition we can raise the profile amongst the farming community, particularly over the summer months.
“HSENI will be inviting entries from primary schools across Northern Ireland, and we want pupils to be inventive, creative and imaginative. We are looking for the children give us their views as to what they think are dangers on farms through their eyes.
“Sadly, three young children have died in accidents on our farms in the last 5 years, so it is vital that we get our message across that we must make our farms safe places for our children and their families to live, work and play on.”
All the pupils have to do is to draw an A3 picture, using the template (provided in the link below) highlighting the dangers of living on, or playing on a farm. You can choose what to draw from the following six categories:
- farm animals
- falling objects
- safety of older farmers
- farm machinery
The closing date for entries to the competition will be Friday 30 June, and the prizes will be awarded to the following categories and will be in the form of a gift card:
|First Stage||Second Stage||Third Stage|
|Key Stage 1||£50||£30||£20|
|Key Stage 2||£50||£30||£20|
The schools associated with the overall winner in each category will receive a cheque for £150.
How to enter
You can enter this competition by downloading a copy of the poster from the following link or by contacting HSENI by telephone, email to request a competition pack, or download it direct from the website:
● phone: 028 9054 7075
● email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Entries should be submitted to the following address:Health and Safety Executive for Northern Ireland (HSENI)
83 Ladas Drive
Be inventive and artistic! HSENI looks forward to receiving your schools entries.
Notes to editors:
- The Health and Safety Executive for Northern Ireland (HSENI) is an Executive Non-Departmental Public Body, sponsored by the Department for the Economy.
- HSENI is the lead body responsible for the promotion and enforcement of health and safety at work standards in Northern Ireland.
- For media enquiries please contact: HSENI Press Office on 028 9024 3249 or email email@example.com
- For out of office hours please contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 076 2397 4383 and your call will be returned.
- Fertiliser retailer fined after member of the public suffers life-changing injuries 12 June 2018
- Child Safety on Farms Week 2018 06 June 2018
- Farm Safety Partnership welcome Dale Farm and Lantra to its Affiliate Scheme 21 May 2018
- HSENI recruitment opportunity for an experienced Health and Safety Inspector 15 May 2018