The Gas Safe Register (GSR) provides the official list of gas engineers registered to work legally and safely in Northern Ireland. This is currently run by Capita Gas Registration and Ancillary Services (CGRAS) on behalf of HSENI under a Service Concession Agreement (SCA) which expires on 31 March 2019.
HSENI and HSE (GB) are working together to appoint a new provider under a single UK wide SCA, from 1 April 2019. The new SCA will be tendered for 5 years.
The core functions of the Register will remain the same for the future SCA:
- Maintain the Register
- Check and monitor engineer competence
- Support HSENI / local council enforcement action
- Provide safety information to engineers
- Consumer access to the Register
- Promote consumer awareness of:
- Gas Safe Register
- Gas safety and the risks of carbon monoxide
- Provide the Gas Safety Advice Line
- Funding of the Gas Safe Charity
Consideration is being given to introducing the following changes:
- The introduction of an advisory panel with representation from across the Register’s membership. This is anticipated to be an online virtual panel, using tools such as webinars and online voting. The panel will be able to make formal representations to the Register and/or HSENI/HSE on behalf of registered businesses.
- Investigating the feasibility of introducing student registration. The next provider will be tasked with carrying out a feasibility study, during Year 1 of the next SCA, into mandatory student registration. Subject to the findings of the feasibility study and approval, the next provider will be required to implement student registration.
The Register will use a risk-based inspection model and there will be a provision that all registered businesses are seen within the 5-year duration of the next SCA (inspection or other form of engagement).
These proposals are subject to change. This page is for information only. Further details on the procurement process can be found at:
Or contact the HSENI helpline on: 0800 0320 121
- Logistics company fined for health and safety failings at their premises 20 February 2018
- Proposals to implement the Fourth List of Indicative Occupational Exposure Limit Values 14 February 2018
- 06 February 2018
- Farmers – take extra care when mixing slurry 22 January 2018