A Logistics company was today fined at Dungannon Crown Court after an accident which led to an employee receiving serious injuries.
Philips Logistics Ltd pleaded guilty to failing to maintain safe working conditions at its premises at Tamnamore Road, Dungannon, after a driver for the company fell from inside a loaded rigid curtain-sider.
The driver was in the process of replacing the restraining bars, when he fell approximately 1.5 metres onto the ground below, sustaining serious injuries.
A spokesperson from HSENI said: “The dangers of work at height when carrying out loading activities in the road haulage industry are well known and employers must ensure that all such activities are properly planned with appropriate control measures identified and employed.
“This incident was entirely preventable however on this occasion, Phillips Logistics failed to control the risk of falls from the side of a vehicle. As a result an employee sustained serious and life changing injuries.”
For more information about working at height, and other workplace transport issues, please visit our website's workplace transport page:
Notes to editors:
1) Breaches and fines for Philips Logistics Ltd are as follows:
a) Article 4(1) of the Health and Safety at Work (Northern Ireland) Order 1978 and in particular Articles 4(2)(a) of that Order (£1,500 fine)
b) Regulation 3(1)(a) of the management of the Health and Safety at Work Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2000 (£1,500 fine)
c)Regulation 4(1) of the Work at Height Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2005 (£1,500 fine)
d) Regulation 6(3) of the Work at Height Regulations (Northern Ireland) 2005 (£1,500 fine)
e) Court costs of £1,218.48p
2) For media enquiries please contact HSENI Press Office on 028 9024 3249 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
3) For out of office hours please contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 07699 715440 and your call will be returned.
- Publication of new Workplace Exposure Limits 17 January 2020
- Avoid Harm on the Farm Child Safety 2020 calendar launch 07 January 2020
- Co. Antrim firm fined after employee sustains serious injuries 20 December 2019
- Farmer and building contractor fined for safety failings 12 December 2019