The Health and Safety Executive for Northern Ireland (HSENI) will begin a week long programme of inspections from Monday 14 January 2019, focusing on forklift truck safety within the freight transport sector.
Forklift trucks (FLTs) are widely used for moving materials and goods, but they are involved in about a quarter of all workplace transport accidents. The deaths and injuries can ruin lives and businesses. Even when an incident does not cause injury, it can still mean costly damage to FLTs, buildings, fittings and goods. Particular issues include inadequate training, lack of thorough examinations and maintenance, use of non-integrated working platforms (man cages) and inadequate pedestrian/FLT segregation.
HSENI will undertake unannounced visits to freight transport operators to ensure that they are taking action to control the risks from using FLTs in their premises. The targeted initiative will look at forklift operator training, general maintenance and thorough examinations, key control and safe systems of work.
Urging businesses to make forklift truck safety a priority, Inspector Karen Todd from HSENI’s Transport Group said: “Those in control of work activities have a responsibility to devise safe methods of working and to provide the necessary information, instruction and training to their workers in the safe system of working.
“HSENI will provide advice during the targeted visits, and take enforcement action against poor practices especially where workers lives are at risk.”
For more information about forklift truck safety please visit our forklift truck topic page or call the HSENI helpline on: 0800 0320 121.
Notes to editors:
- The Health and Safety Executive for Northern Ireland (HSENI) is an Executive Non-Departmental Public Body, sponsored by the Department for the Economy (DfE).
- HSENI is the lead body responsible for the promotion and enforcement of health and safety at work standards in Northern Ireland.
- For media enquiries please contact: HSENI Press Office on 028 9024 3249 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- For Out of Office Hours please contact the Duty Press Officer on 028 9037 8110.
- ECHA published information on new format available to report worker exposure and emissions of chromium trioxide 09 September 2021
- Information on Northern Ireland Biocidal Products Regulation 03 September 2021
- Carriage of Dangerous Goods – New Multilateral Agreement 17 August 2021
- Farming community urged to ‘rethink-risk’ to personal health and wellbeing 23 July 2021