The Workplace Health Leadership Group NI (WHLGNI) today held its inaugural conference, ‘Occupational Health, Hygiene and Wellbeing’ at the Titanic, Belfast.
The conference marked the start of a concerted, regional, multi-agency journey aimed at raising the profile of work-related health. The aim of the event was to highlight the need for work-related health to have the same recognition in the working environment as safety, and in doing so, achieving practical business and societal benefits along the way.
Key speakers at the Conference included Dr Michael McBride, Chief Medical Officer for the Department of Health; Prof David Fishwick, Consultant Respiratory Physician at the Centre for Workplace Health, Honorary Professor of Respiratory Medicine at University of Sheffield and Chief Medical Adviser to HSE GB and HSENI; and Prof Diana Kloss MBE, Occupational Health Law Barrister and expert, and Honorary President of The Council for Work and Health.
Delegates heard how most workplace ill-health is preventable and the importance of the need to approach it with the same enthusiasm as safety. Key messages included how the workplace acts as an excellent forum for promoting good health and preventing the development of a work related disease.
Commenting on the event, Wilson Lambe, Chair of WHLGNI, said: “Few of us will have studied health and safety history, yet many of us agree that safety over the past 20 years has taken precedence over health.
“Employers have begun to recognise the importance of employee health and those at the forefront of this change understand that improvements in employee health are win-win for all.
“We were delighted that so many expert speakers were able to inform all, about workplace health and wellbeing in Northern Ireland”
During the day, WHLGNI launched the NI Workplace Health Strategy 2017-2022. All delegates were invited to consider how they could best contribute to managing work related health in their own workplaces and in doing so, buying into the new Strategy and becoming part of the success story.
Notes to editors:
1) The Workplace Health Leadership Group NI is made up of the following organisations:
- Health and Safety Executive for Northern Ireland (HSENI) and the 11 Local Councils
- Institution of Occupational Safety and Health (IOSH)
- The Public Health Agency (PHA)
- The British Occupational Hygiene Society (BOHS)
- NI Safety Group
- BuildHealth NI
2) For media enquiries please contact HSENI Press Office on 028 9024 3249 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
3) For out of office hours please contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 07623 974383 and your call will be returned.