The Health and Safety Executive for Northern Ireland (HSENI) has announced that it will be carrying out a workplace transport inspection campaign at manufacturing premises across Northern Ireland.
The inspection campaign will run throughout Autumn, starting in September 2023. The campaign will continue for several months.
Speaking on the upcoming campaign, HSENI Principal Inspector (Manufacturing) Anne Boylan said:
“Workplace transport incidents continue to be an area responsible for fatalities and major injuries in the manufacturing sector. The main causes of injury are people falling from vehicles, being struck by or crushed by them and vehicles overturning.
“Beginning in September HSENI Inspectors will be visiting premises throughout Northern Ireland to ensure effective controls are in place to manage the risks associated with workplace transport.”
To manage the risks from workplace transport effectively, employers and those in control of premises need to consider the following three key areas:
- Safe Site
- Safe Vehicle
- Safe Driver
HSENI Inspectors will be providing information and advice during the inspection campaign. Where significant risks are found, Inspectors may take enforcement action in order to achieve compliance with health and safety legislation to ensure that the risks are properly managed.
Practical guidance to help employers review their current health and safety arrangements at their premises and a checklist which will form part of the HSENI inspection process is available at:
- Workplace Transport Campaign - Manufacturing Sector Checklist
- Workplace Transport Campaign - Manufacturing Sector Resource List
- Workplace Transport Inspection Campaign - Manufacturing Sector
Notes to editors:
- The Health and Safety Executive for Northern Ireland (HSENI) is an Executive Non-Departmental Public Body, sponsored by the Department for the Economy (DfE), and is the lead body responsible for the promotion and enforcement of health and safety at work standards in Northern Ireland: www.hseni.gov.uk
- For media enquiries please contact: HSENI Press Office on 028 9024 3249 or by email: firstname.lastname@example.org. For out of hours please contact Duty Press Officer 028 9037 8110.
- Health and Safety advice during storms and bad weather 26 September 2023
- Health and safety inspections of workplace transport management to increase in haulage and logistics sectors 18 September 2023
- Health and Safety Executive for Northern Ireland ‘Drive Danger Out’ campaign message to food industry 14 September 2023
- Health and safety campaign launched to help reduce workplace transport deaths 12 September 2023