Low back pain is common and can be extremely painful. It can be difficult to cope with the severe pain but fortunately it is rarely due to serious disease.
There are things that employers and workers can do to manage back pain and other musculoskeletal disorders (MSDs) in the workplace.
People can be helped to remain in work or helped to make an earlier return to work.
Evidence shows that good industrial relations, job satisfaction and partnership between employers and employees are key elements in the successful management of back pain problems.
It may also help you to retain skilled and loyal staff.
- Backs in action
- Backworks Northern Ireland
- Guidance on the prevention and management of musculoskeletal disorders (MSDs) in the workplace
- HSE (GB) - Making the best use of lifting and handling aids
- HSE (GB) - Managing upper limb disorders in the workplace
- HSE (GB) - Manual handling assessment charts
- HSE (GB) - Manual handling at work - a brief guide
- HSE (GB) - Upper limb disorders in the workplace
- HSE (GB) - Working with VDUs
Please note that these links are to the original legislation, visitors should verify for themselves whether legislation is in force or whether it has been amended or repealed by subsequent legislation.