This page provides access to health and safety information relating to the onshore chemical manufacture and storage industry. This site relates to the following industries:
- oil refining and petrochemicals
- paints and coatings
- compressed gases
- other general chemicals
The site does not cover the incidental use of chemicals in other places of work or the offshore oil and gas industry.
HSE Helpdesk contact details
Please see below the email addresses for the HSE helpdesk functions:
Plant Protection Products: CRD.Information.Management@hse.gov.uk
REACH & CLP: email@example.com
Enquiries regarding applications under the Control of Pesticides Regulations (COPR): firstname.lastname@example.org
Enquiries regarding applications under the EU Biocides Products Regulations (EU BPR) soon to be GB BPR: email@example.com
Other Biocides Enquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org
Prior Informed Consent (PIC): email@example.com
HSE's Chemical Regulation Division
The Chemicals Regulation Division (CRD) is responsible for the regulation of biocides, pesticides, detergents, chemicals covered by REACH, and for compliance with the Classification, Labelling and Packaging (CLP) Regulation:
EU Exit - Changes to Chemical Regimes BPR / PPP - Webinar
This webinar which was hosted by HSENI, HSE and DEFRA on changes to chemical regimes can now be viewed on the Invest NI website at:
The HSE podcast series
There is also a podcast series aimed at businesses working with chemicals. It details information you need to know before and after the transition period.
The following three epsiodes are now available on the podbeam.com website:
- After UK Transition: Working with Chemicals - Episode 1 - PPP
- After UK Transition: Working with Chemicals - Episode 2 - BPR
- After UK Transition: Working with Chemicals - Episode 3 - CLP, REACH & PIC
- After UK Transition: Working with Chemicals - Episode 4 - PPP, BPR and industry voices
To access and listen to these podcasts, please see the following link:
Regulating chemicals after the UK transition period - HSE YouTube videos
HSE and the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) have also hosted online events covering actions businesses need to take when the UK Transition ends and how the new GB regulatory regime for chemicals may impact their work.
To view these videos please visit HSE's YouTube channel at:
Supplying chemicals to the GB market
If you are:
- a Great Britain-based manufacturer, importer, downstream user or distributor (known as a Great Britain-based supplier) supplying chemicals to the GB market
- a Northern Ireland-based manufacturer, downstream user or distributor (known as a Northern Ireland-based supplier) directly supplying chemicals to the GB market.
You have a legal duty to understand your obligations and duties under the GB CLP Regulation.
Further information is available at the following link:
Notified products for Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Part 6 of the Tobacco and Related Products Regulations 2016 sets out the requirements for e-cigarettes and refill containers. Click on link below for more information: